YOU ARE HERE HollyDaysMusic.Blogspot.com is an exploration of diegetic music

Dec 16, 2011

"God's Song (Why I Love Mankind)"

In honor of Etta James, who was great at singing great songs; it was announced today that she has terminal leukemia.
   "God's Song (That's Why I Love Mankind)" is a Randy Newman-penned song takes a particularly harsh view of God and the suffering of people, which seems especially potent in light of today's news.
They said "Lord the plague is on the world
Lord no man is free
The temples that we built to you
Have tumbled into the sea
Lord, if you won't take care of us
Won't you please please let us be?"
And the Lord said
And the Lord said
"I burn down your cities--how blind you must be
I take from you your children and you say how blessed are we
You must all be crazy to put your faith in me
That's why I love mankind
You really need me
That's why I love mankind"
And since this blog is preoccupied with Christmas songs, it would be remiss to bypass a mention of her superb "12 Songs of Christmas" with this great but little-heard ballad "This Time Of Year"


both on Spotify.com